Silly Six Second Video :-)
Have an attitude of gratitude....always!
Avocado is a fruit rich in a variety vitamins, minerals and fiber. It contains specific antioxidants and phytonutrients that are important in preventing cancer and heart disease. On the Fit Livin’ fuel list you will find avocado under the “healthy fat” section because 85% of its calories come from fat. Avocados are a great source of the healthy fats which help control inflammation in the body and increase the absorption of fat soluble nutrients.
You know an avocado is ready to eat when it is slightly soft but free of cracks and sunken spots. If it is green and firm to the touch when you purchase it then ripen at room temperature for a day or two until slightly soft. Do not store in the refrigerator until ripened. If you use a portion of the avocado, sprinkle remaining with lemon juice or vinegar, cover with plastic wrap to use later. This will prevent browning.
To prepare, cut the avocado length wise, twist the two halves apart. Remove the pit by spearing it with your knife and pulling it out. You can pull skin from flesh with your fingers or with a knife doing your best to hold on to the outermost dark green part of the flesh because this area is loaded with antioxidants.
Super simple ways to squeeze in more Avocado:
- Toss into a salad.
- Garnish tortilla soup, black bean soup or chili with chopped avocado
- Use ripe avocado as a sandwich spread
- Replace yogurt based smoothies with avocado
- Mix chopped avocado into your favorite commercial salsa to serve with scrambled eggs, a grilled chicken breast or on a turkey burger.
- Use mashed avocado in place of mayo in tuna salad
Avocado Mango Salsa
- 1 avocado, core removed, peeled & diced
- 2 mango, peeled, diced
- 3 green onion, chopped (including greens)
- 1/2 bell pepper (orange or red), chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded & chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
Combine all ingredients. Serve with fish, chicken or tortilla chips! Enjoy!