"We need to forget what we think we are so that we can really become what we are"
Stop Judging Yourself
Negative self-judgement might be a habit and something you do automatically. This can lead to poor self-esteem and is associated with anxiety and depression. In order to stop the negative self-judgement you have to change the way you think and talk to yourself. Here are a few tips to get you moving in a positive direction.
- Take a day or two and log every single time you have negative thoughts about yourself.
- Analyze the thoughts. Were they rational? Were they based on fact?
- Get a second opinion. Ask others how they see you.
- Make a list of your positive attributes.
- Catch your negative thoughts and words. Pay attention and stop the negativity in it's tracks. Replace the negative judgement with a positive attribute from your list.
- Don't believe the negative thoughts. The more you talk or think about yourself in a negative way, the more you believe it. Get out of the habit.
- One failure does not mean you're a failure. Nobody is perfect. Look at it as an opportunity for growth.
- Remember, you are are valuable as a person, including your imperfections.
- Treat yourself as you treat the person you love most in the world. Treat yourself with care, respect and compassion.
- Accept compliments with gratitude. Don't respond by saying something negative about yourself, that is a form of self-judgement.
It's important to know that change is not going to happen overnight. Changing the way you think about yourself takes effort and commitment. Stay with it because you deserve it!