Reason to Love Sweet Potatoes...
- Energy without the Blood Sugar Spike! Carbs provide energy and fuel the brain and muscles. Starchy foods get a bad wrap but it's the refined and processed ones causing weight gain and health issues. Sweet potatoes are great choice because you get a nice dose of those energy providing carbs (~35 grams for a medium potato) ...but they don’t cause a big spike in blood sugar. The reason for this is that they have a low glycemic index, they’re high in fiber and they contain a protein hormone called adiponectin that helps regulate blood sugar.
- They are Naturally Sweet: make for a healthy, low-calorie treat that can satisfy a sweet or salty craving.
- Good for Appetite Control: 1 medium potato has about 4 g of filling fiber plus we manage hunger better when blood sugar is in balance!
- Power packed with nutrients like beta carotene and other anti-inflammatory antioxidants.
- They're delicious! #YUM
Chicken Fajita Sweet Potato
- 2 Sweet potatoes, cleaned
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 6 ounces of chicken breast, sliced into strips
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 T red onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup black beans, drained
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Garnish (optional) fresh lime, avocado, Mexican 4-cheese, plain Greek yogurt, fresh cilantro, salsa
- Wash sweet potatoes then wrap in paper towel and microwave for 10 minutes. Allow to rest at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil to a skillet heated on med-high. Add sliced chicken breast and season with garlic powder, chili powder and cumin. Stir-fry for 6-7 minutes then add chopped red pepper and onion and cook another 5 minutes.
- Slice sweet potato and scoop out the insides. Mix sweet potatoes into the skillet with the chicken and veggies. Add black beans and cilantro then give a stir.
- Scoop mixture into the sweet potato skins. Serve right away or top with cheese and heat in oven or microwave until cheese is melted. Garnish with your favorites (fresh lime, avocado, plain Greek yogurt, cilantro, salsa). Enjoy!